IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2012 POETRY OUT LOUD!!!
- Registration Deadline – Friday, November 18
- In-school Contest Deadline – Friday, December 16
- Northern Regional Contest – Monday, February 6 (Corinth)
- Central Regional Contest – Wednesday, February 8 (JSU)
- Southern Regional Contest – Monday, February 13, 2012, Lauren Rogers Museum of Art, Laurel
- Regional Semi-final Clinics – February (dates tba)
- Mississippi State Finals – Thursday, March 22 at Mississippi Public Broadcasting
- POL National Contest – May 13-15 in Washington, D.C.
About the Program
Poetry Out Loud is a free program created by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation for students in grades 9 through 12. Since 2005, it has helped students in all fifty states, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia master public speaking skills, build self-confidence, and improve their reading comprehension scores while learning about their literary heritage.
Through the Poetry Out Loud curriculum, teachers guide students to a deeper, richer understanding of the power of language and literature by helping them develop a personal relationship with great poems. An added benefit is that Poetry Out Loud offers all students the opportunity to compete for awards, prizes, and recognition.
via Poetry Out Loud.
Want to learn more? Email Megan Hines (firstname.lastname@example.org) to find out about getting your school involved this year.