Remember the Imagination Conversation: Mississippi that we attended in May? Well, Dr. Penny Wallin, Executive Director of the Mississippi Alliance for Arts Education will be attending America’s Imagination Summit in New York City as a representative of the state of Mississippi this week.
America’s Imagination Summit is the first national gathering on the place of imagination in education, will take between July 21 and 22, 2011, at Lincoln Center in New York City. Leaders from business, government, education, science, the arts, and other fields will commit to giving American students the skills they need for success in the 21st century: imagination, creativity, and innovation. Lincoln Center Institute, the educational arm of Lincoln Center and the event’s host, believes this diverse coalition is capable of influencing schools and bringing about education policy change.
Among the speakers and panelists at the Summit will be:
- Kiran Bir Sethi, founder and director of the Riverside School in India;
- Sir Ken Robinson, author and expert in field of creativity;
- Sandra Chapman, founder and chief director of the Center for BrainHealth;
- Matthew Bishop, U.S. business editor, The Economist;
- Deepak Chopra, founder, The Chopra Foundation;
- Bruce Vaughn, chief creative director, Walt Disney Imagineering;
- John Deasy, superintendent, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Honorable Judith Kaye, former chief judge of New York State;
- Vice Admiral Michael Miller, superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy;
- Sade Baderinwa, co-anchor, WABC-TV, Eyewitness News;
- Merryl Tisch, chancellor, New York State Board of Regents;
- Peter Cunningham, assistant secretary, U.S. Department of Education;
- Deborah Wince-Smith, president and CEO, Council on Competitiveness;
- John Wilson, executive director, National Education Association;
- Bill Moggridge, director, Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum;
- Tony DeRose, lead, Research Group, Pixar Studios;
- Charles Segars, CEO, Ovation;
- Cameron Sinclair, executive director and CEO, Architecture for Humanity; and
- General Charles Wald, former deputy commander of the U.S. European Command.
To watch a live stream of this groundbreaking event, visit http://lcinstitute.org. Follow the conversation on Twitter at #ImaginationSummit